Tuesday, December 30, 2008

New Years Eve.

The one drawback to being a parent is New years Eve. When you're single, or don't have kids it doesn't matter that you have no plans for New Years. Just get out and find a bar or nightclub, or go to a late dinner. Or if you have more adult plans that are for 2 (or 3 if you're lucky) you can stay in and celebrate the New Year by yourselves.

This is not the case if you have kids, for me at least. We used to hang out with another couple with kids, but we're not as close as we used to be. and I don't want to get a sitter for the kids again. So I try to call friends and think of something to do, but it seems that many of them were far more on top of it than I was(am) and they've already got plans.

I guess I make a few more calls. If nothing else, we can stay up playing on the Wii and sleep through New Years. I'm NOT watching Dick Clark, or Ryan Seacrest and screw their "rocking eve".

6 comments:

Shannon said...

I'm not into watching Dick Clark or Ryan Seacrest either. But I do have to say, it is fun to watch the ball drop. That ball is made out of Waterford Crystal, a bunch of small pieces put together to make that ball.

angie, party of one said...

Ryan Seacrest sucks, good choice there I must say.
Hope you had a rockin' NYE.

Kelly O said...

Can anyone tell me how the heck Ryan Seacrest got a star on the walk of fame????

We had the neighbors over for a few drinks and we we payed a board game called, Dirty Minds.

It was fun. The game gives you clues that put your mind in the gutter and the answers are all clean.

Wudas said...

Mom and I hung out, drank champagne, and went to sleep after midnight. We watched the ball drop in Sacramento. A new tradition there.

Shell said...

When I was a kid, the adults would all have a party and put the kids in another room making it a sleepover of sorts. I would wake up in the morning to passed out ppl all over our house. LOL My parents partied and did what they wanted, they just brought us kids along. :D Not sure it's appropriate if drinking/smoking and other adult things are taking place, but that's how they did it in the 60s.

Joe and I have the opposite problem, we are the only couple without children and it's often hard to be social since others don't have the freedoms we do. Holidays really suck since we don't have family in the state anymore. All our friends are busy and live 2 hours away. :-( Often, we just go to dinner or hang out at home. It gets boring and a little lonely.

This NYE we just went out to a nice dinner and came home. *whoopee* I can't remember too many NYE where we did anything really special. One year, we went on a cruise so we could see the fireworks over the Space Needle. That was kinda fun but expensive. It was just us so not as fun as being with friends would have been.

Anyway, hope you got to do something kinda fun.

Maybe you will play a festival or bar closer to Sac? Then we can come and party with you. Maybe have a pool party when it gets warmer. :-)

ttyl hope the Bistro gig went well

dwgnldy said...

Anytime you'd like to get rid of the kids for a day or night...we're here. They're great to have around and fun to be with.

We stay off the roads on New Years Eve and usually hit the sack early.

When we were younger, we always partied or had people over. We thought those who didn't stay up were old fuddy duddies. Now, we've turned into those fuddy duddies. After this many years, watching the ball drop looks like a rerun of the previous years. Yep...somewhere along the line, I got old. LOL!