Monday, September 26, 2005

I need Shannon


Well Shannon comes home in a few days, and then things can get back to normal around here. I miss her and so do the kids (I think Daisy misses her too). I know she's doing well in class, better than I'm doing as a single dad (I suck at this). We've been talking every night, on the phone and online but her webcam seems to freeze up all the time. Tonight I wasn't feeling well so the kids let me rest, and my parents picked up some chicken legs for the kids. I've been trying to call Shannon and keep getting a recording...damn. She finally called me and didn't know there was anything wrong with her phone.

Last night my father called me and told me that my Uncle Joe had passed away. He was suffering from Alzheimers, in poor health, and pretty old too. I know it was expected, but I'm still really sad. When I was a kid we went to my Aunt and Uncles several times a week (they lived really close). I remember my dad and uncle sitting at the kitchen table talking. I remember that he always had a garden in the backyard. My sister always asks where I learned how to be handy around the house (tiling, painting, replacing sheetrock, basic household stuff) because our dad never did any of this stuff. My dad always called his brother-in-law Joe, and I think I just wanted to be able to do some of the things he did. He wasn't a master technician, or craftsman, he was just handy. He was always smiling, always funny.
At my wedding reception I offered to get him a beer, and he told he didn't drink. I didn't know this, I always assumed he had a beer or some wine with my dad. He told me that when he was young he was out with a friend and 3 women, they were all drinking. Later that evening his friend left with one of the women,leaving him with 2 (do you see where this is going). He told me that just as things were getting interesting he passed out, end of story. He said he never touched alcohol since.
I just keep remembering things about my Uncle, mostly just little things, but those are the things you miss. I'll miss you Uncle Joe' and I hope you're well. I think we have some of his old Tarzan books at my parents house, maybe I should read one.

5 comments:

Kelly O said...

Will, I am sorry to hear about your Uncle Joe. I don't think you can ever prepare yourself for these things. It sounds like Uncle Joe gave you many gifts that you get to pass on to Morgan and Taylor, you are a lucky man.

Next time Shannon has to go to Oaklahoma just pull a Paul and book a couple of flights for the kids too. Then you can have some R n' R while she is gone ;) I am sure she is ready to come home too.

Wudas said...

It sounds like Uncle Joe was quite a guy. Please accept my condolences.

Shannon said...

I'll be home in a few days. I know you can make the last couple of days. I know being a single parent is difficult, but I know you can handle it.

Anonymous said...

I'll miss Uncle Joe, too. My favorite quote of all time is "well, you know what Uncle Joe always said - Could be worse.... could be me"

I remember learning to dry apricots with all the extra gerber babyfood fruit. He also took 3 heaping teaspoons of sugar in his instant coffee. Maybe that's why his hair never went grey! We're lucky we had him for an uncle. He was a great man. I'll miss him.

angie, party of one said...

So sorry to hear of your loss Will. I laughed out loud at the story you shared, sounds like he was a fun guy!
I'm sure you're a great single dad...we all know Shannon kicks ass but we all know you do too.